Date:16 - 17 January 2017
Due to the current weather warning issued by Met Éireann for tomorrow tonight 16 and tomorrow 17, forecasting icy and blustery conditions, we invite you to review the following precautions to ensure your safety while on campus.
- In cold temperatures, approach with caution and assume that all wet, dark areas on pavements are slippery and icy. Dew or water vapour can freeze on cold surfaces, forming an extra-thin, nearly invisible layer of ice that can look like a wet spot on the pavement.
- If you are out walking in snow or icy conditions wear appropriate footwear
- Walk on a main footpath, not in the road. Avoid secondary routes or untreated areas on campus. Be extremely careful as frost, ice and snow will make walking on footpaths very dangerous.
- Taking shortcuts through grass or areas where snow and ice removal is not feasible can be hazardous.
- Visibility is reduced in snowy and frosty conditions so make yourself visible by wearing high visibility clothing.
- Wear clothing that does not restrict your vision. Stay warm, but DO NOT impair your vision with hoodies, masks, scarves, hats, etc. This type of clothing could prevent you from spotting icy conditions that may lead to a fall or not enable you to see a car that is approaching.
- Use extra caution when crossing roadways, and always cross at pedestrian crossings.
- When using exterior steps and stairs make sure you use the handrail when available and plant your feet firmly on each step. When walking into a building beware of wet floors at the entrance, you should alert campus services at (01)7167000 if you spot such build up and there is no signage alerting of the slip risk.
Area / Buildings:
Belfield and Blackrock