The UCD Smarter Travel Group would encourage anyone who already commutes by bicycle or who is thinking or doing so, to take the online Cycle Right course. The course is free and very practical with five separate modules, each with its own short self-assessment:
- Preparing for the road – clothing, helmet, bike, conditions and wayfinding
- Cycling with others – awareness of other road users, cycling in groups, cycling with children
- Being on the road – positioning, turning, other vehicles
- Knowing the roads – road infrastructure, slip roads, hard shoulders, cycle paths, bus lanes, rail tracks
- Visibility – the importance of being seen on the road
Mark d’Alton, Chair of the UCD Smarter Travel Group said, “I’ve been commuting by bicycle since I was a student (a long time ago!) and I found the course interesting and useful – there is always more to learn. It is very safety focused and I would recommend it to anyone. In time we are also hoping to provide on-campus cycle training and this course will be good preparation for that.”
So if one of your new years resolutions is to cycle more often in your free time or start using your bike to commute when you click the link below to create an account and get started!
Cycle Right is the National Standard for Cycle Training and provides practical cycle safety and skills training to promote competent and confident cyclists. Cycle Right is produced and supported by the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport, the Road Safety Authority and Cycling Ireland, with input from central and local agencies and other groups.
Area / Buildings: